Would you like to make a tax deductible donation to my future projects?

Hello Fellow Blog Readers:

To those of you who are interested, I will be setting up an account that will allow you to make tax deductible donations to the projects I will be working on my second year. I will be spending my first year working on education. Then in my second year, I will determine families that are in need of a project in order for them to better their health. Projects could include, an improved cook stove, latrine, cement floor, water storage system, or drainage system. Criteria for recipients of projects will also be based on families dedication to the educational health talks that I will be giving and how great their desire is to better their health. More details to come concerning cost break down as it becomes available.

I am giving you a heads up so that you can start putting money away for this now if you so desire, maybe you have something you can give up and instead of spending the money you can send it towards a good cause. I will be setting up a fund when the time gets closer to begin my projects.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mayan Ceremony

Surprise! Two blog post in one week!
So today I had the opportunity to attend a Maya ceremony in one of the communitites I am working in. The ceremony was the Blessing of the Seeds. It was a way for them to give thanks for the harvest and look ahead to another year of harvest. The ceremony was a experience for all the senses. The women were wearing their brightly colored typical dress and also a special ceremonial headress that was equally as colorful. Insence was being burned along with candles and bread as an offering.  There was also traditional music being played including the marimba. In this picture right here---> the participants are carrying around ears of corn as they did a dance to the music that was being played.

 Here you can see the incense being burned around the fire and the bread and candles that were later burned up.
 In this picture you can see the ceremonial headdress they were wearing, along with their dress. The man seen here was in a line that was marching around the fire along with another man playing a flute and a boy with incense.











In this picture the women are dancing around the fire carrying ears of corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment