Would you like to make a tax deductible donation to my future projects?

Hello Fellow Blog Readers:

To those of you who are interested, I will be setting up an account that will allow you to make tax deductible donations to the projects I will be working on my second year. I will be spending my first year working on education. Then in my second year, I will determine families that are in need of a project in order for them to better their health. Projects could include, an improved cook stove, latrine, cement floor, water storage system, or drainage system. Criteria for recipients of projects will also be based on families dedication to the educational health talks that I will be giving and how great their desire is to better their health. More details to come concerning cost break down as it becomes available.

I am giving you a heads up so that you can start putting money away for this now if you so desire, maybe you have something you can give up and instead of spending the money you can send it towards a good cause. I will be setting up a fund when the time gets closer to begin my projects.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Volunteer work

Greetings from an official Peace Corps Volunteer,
After three months it has finally happened. Training was rough and had a lot of restrictions and I am glad to be out of that routine. I feel so free now and I would like to think I am ready for it.

I started working at my health center today, still getting to know communities and community leaders. Today I accompanied some health center staff out to a community to weight and vaccinated children, just trying to get my face out there and get the people used to seeing a gringa (that's what white people are referred to here). I noticed a lot of need for education in the communities where we were weighing children. It's almost a consistent finding that children start to fall on the growth chart after they are 6 months old, when they are no longer strictly breast fed. This is a great opportunity for me to educated and empower the people to be able to live healthier lives.

I have to admit that I have felt overwhelmed a fair number of times since really taking on my site. Development work is a slow process but the end results are worth their weight in gold. I am just a grain of sand in all the things that Peace Corps has done and for me to become that contribution of a grain of sand it will take me two years of working with community members and empowering them. I think I have my work cut out for me!

The first three months at site promise to bring their difficulties. There is so much that I have to go through to adapt to my community which also includes getting a basic understanding of the mayan language that is spoken here. It looks to be like a good challenge but helpful nonetheless in helping me integrate into my community. I will also have to get to know the community, it's people, resources, common health issues and much more information. I imagine that to be a significant challenge in itself. And of course in all of this I will still be working on perfecting my Spanish.

This experience promises to be one of significant growth. In many ways I will be challenged and in many ways I already have been. I only hope that I can reach my full potential here and not settle for less than my best.

I have an internet connection at my site but it is less than reliable and I am working on getting a better connection. When that comes, I hope to be more consistent in my updates and in putting up pictures.

Until next time,
Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment