Would you like to make a tax deductible donation to my future projects?

Hello Fellow Blog Readers:

To those of you who are interested, I will be setting up an account that will allow you to make tax deductible donations to the projects I will be working on my second year. I will be spending my first year working on education. Then in my second year, I will determine families that are in need of a project in order for them to better their health. Projects could include, an improved cook stove, latrine, cement floor, water storage system, or drainage system. Criteria for recipients of projects will also be based on families dedication to the educational health talks that I will be giving and how great their desire is to better their health. More details to come concerning cost break down as it becomes available.

I am giving you a heads up so that you can start putting money away for this now if you so desire, maybe you have something you can give up and instead of spending the money you can send it towards a good cause. I will be setting up a fund when the time gets closer to begin my projects.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Work Continues

I am working with my five groups of individuals. I meet with each group every other week, so on the other week I don't have much to do. I am working on ideas of what else I can do. I have gotten in touch with an NGO that is working in one of my communities. They are called ASDECO. Not exactly sure what it stands for but they are based in Chichicastenago and work within the 80 so communities that are covered in its municipality. They have pretty much the same goals as Peace Corps, seeking to create sustainable development in the communities they work in and empower individuals to help themselves. I am going out to meet with them on Thursday and hopefully get a better idea of what exactly their work entails. I have met a few people that work there and they are all super nice. I was excited to find out that there is a group of locals seeking development in their own country.

I have also been able to build relationships with those I work with. There seems to be more down time at the health center during the afternoons. I try to spend most of my work days at the health center, working on charlas, studying Spanish, or sometime just hanging out with those that work here. One of the educators invited me to a party her family was having for her grandpa this past weekend, put Peace Corps prohibited travel because of the rain, so I couldn't go. Most of the people that work here are around my age or younger, so we get along really well and can communicate pretty easily. They are all so nice here, the older women that work here have been motherly to me and I really appreciate it with how difficult it is to be away from my family and friends back home. I there are two educators that work here. Both of them are girls around my age and I really enjoy working with them. They come along with me when I give my charlas and translate for those that don't speak much Spanish. I look forward to continuing my work with them in the future and sharing some new ways of educating the people they work with.

Pictures can be view at the following links:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2440155&id=22423429&l=14792e41eb

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2462664&id=22423429&l=efd840bf76

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey! This is Laura Mosley! I just read every single journal entry. Thank you so much for your wisdom and words of encouragement! I have applied, interviewed, and have been nominated to serve in the Peace Corps. I am nominated to serve in Latin America working with youth in a community organization that is expected to be leaving in August of 2011. I have my doubts, and I cannot say that at the end of the day the pros outweighs the cons...but God certainly does. I, too, feel as if this is a calling for my life and I am really encouraged by your story. Thank you!
    In His Grace and Peace,
    Laura Mosley

    ReplyDelete