Would you like to make a tax deductible donation to my future projects?

Hello Fellow Blog Readers:

To those of you who are interested, I will be setting up an account that will allow you to make tax deductible donations to the projects I will be working on my second year. I will be spending my first year working on education. Then in my second year, I will determine families that are in need of a project in order for them to better their health. Projects could include, an improved cook stove, latrine, cement floor, water storage system, or drainage system. Criteria for recipients of projects will also be based on families dedication to the educational health talks that I will be giving and how great their desire is to better their health. More details to come concerning cost break down as it becomes available.

I am giving you a heads up so that you can start putting money away for this now if you so desire, maybe you have something you can give up and instead of spending the money you can send it towards a good cause. I will be setting up a fund when the time gets closer to begin my projects.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A quite day at the health center

I am finding it pretty easy to focus today, working on a powerpoint presentation to present to the people in charge of the health center for all of my department. There is hardly anybody here working at the health center because they are out protesting in the area of the market. The health workers have not been paid for two months, going on three. The educators that work with Marlaine and I have not been paid at all since they started here in January. I can't imagine working like that. I feel like sometimes getting the paycheck and compensation for my time is the only thing that keeps me going. If I didn't get paid while working in the hospital back home, I am pretty sure I would have left to find a job somewhere else that would have paid me my wages. It would never happen in the States, there would be such an uproar that changes would have to be made or the people just wouldn't work. I guess it's just so different here. We now have a working laboratory here at the health center (very simple by American standards but it gets the job done) and the lab tech has not recieved 8 months pay from his previous job. If we were in the states I feel that there would be some serious action taken against this former employer so that one could recieve their wages due.

I just thought I would share the contrasting culture here in Guatemala. Oh and I also heard from PC security that Peasant Farmers were threatning to protest today, probably an issue of wages as well. Guess I can say that I am glad to be supported by the American Government.

No comments:

Post a Comment