Would you like to make a tax deductible donation to my future projects?

Hello Fellow Blog Readers:

To those of you who are interested, I will be setting up an account that will allow you to make tax deductible donations to the projects I will be working on my second year. I will be spending my first year working on education. Then in my second year, I will determine families that are in need of a project in order for them to better their health. Projects could include, an improved cook stove, latrine, cement floor, water storage system, or drainage system. Criteria for recipients of projects will also be based on families dedication to the educational health talks that I will be giving and how great their desire is to better their health. More details to come concerning cost break down as it becomes available.

I am giving you a heads up so that you can start putting money away for this now if you so desire, maybe you have something you can give up and instead of spending the money you can send it towards a good cause. I will be setting up a fund when the time gets closer to begin my projects.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Reconnect

Greetings,
This is for all of you who have been waiting for another post. I felt like it was time to post something for you to read.

I spent this past week at "Reconnect", an even at the Peace Corps office where everyone from our training group comes together for a week of events. Monday and Tuesday were filled with meeting up with our Program Director and the Country Director getting updated on stuff and asking questions that we had about the work that we had started or lackthereof. On Tuesday we had a Q and A with the US ambassador in Guatemala. He is very personable and provided us with some info on the work he is doing and the US's standpoint on issues that are happening in Guatemala. It was very interesting and we got some good information and guidance on how to approach and play our part in some of the issues that take place among the people here, for example, domestic violence. Wednesday to Friday were filled with language classes. I took classes in Quiche which is the Mayan Language spoken at my site. It was a good introduction but has proven itself to be a challenge to learn. I don't plan on becoming fluent but I would like to have some understanding of what people are saying when they speak it.

I got to visit my host family from training and stay with them for a few days. It was good to catch up and see them. I stayed with them unit Thursday night and spent Thursday and Friday in a hostel in Antigua with some fellow PCV's. It was great to see everyone and catch up. It was also a good break from my current host family. They are nice but I am ready to move out. I have a place up the road that I am waiting to move to. The landlord has to put in stairs and a bathroom and then it's all mine. The space is bigger with two bedroom size rooms, a third smaller space that I plan on using as a kitchen area and the whole back balcony (it's on the 2nd level). It is also on the backside of the house so it faces the mountains as opposed to the highway which make for a quieter place and a much nicer view. I will be paying the same to rent this place as I am paying for the place I am currently at. I can't wait for my own space and I plan on buying a kitten when I get there too :) I have been told it should be done by the end of November. I am not sure if it will make that deadline or not but I am hoping to get there before I come home for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment